Friday, June 09, 2006

Summer's Here; Update Time

Daphne Loves Derby - Hammers and Hearts
(I remember when this album came out last summer. Yay for summer songs. It makes me want to go to the beach.)

It's the day after the last day of school, and I'm sitting on my computer, blogging. It sounds pretty lame, I know, but it's awesome to actually have the time to do
tedious crap like this. I HAVE NOTHING TO DO! and it's damn awesome. =D This summer, the only thing I really have to do is work. I'm currently working at Khai Tri, a tutoring center. I've only been working with little kids so far, but when the summer tutoring starts, I don't know whether I'll still be teaching little kids or not. Much to people's surprise, I can work pretty well with little kids. I guess everyone thought I'd unleash my wrath on them, but I'm actually pretty lenient. Maybe too lenient. I'm trying to be stricter on them, but I'm still nice to them. My boss and the guy who manages the center I work at tell me not to interact with them at all and not to be friends with them, and they think I do it a lot, but... they're kids! What am I supposed to do o_o. Yeah, when they're bad, I'm harsh, but otherwise, I can still be nice, right? There aren't really any fully bad kids, though I do have the ones I don't like. I think there's only one. I forgot his name cuz I only taught him 2 or 3 times, but he tries to be such a smartass. Ooo~! You can multiply and do this worksheet in less than a minute! I don't care. One thing I noticed with kids since I took this job is that they're so damn competitive with each other. They're always trying to brag, get the last word in their little arguments, etc. They always have that "Oh yeah?" attitude. For example..

Boy 1: Noooo. I don't want to do anymore work. Me: You have to.
Boy 2: Can you give me 5 more homeworks?
Me: Uh, sure.
Boy 1: I want 10 more!
Boy 2: I want a hundred!
Boy 1: A zillion!

What kind of person asks for "a zillion" homework assignments? -_- In this job, I have to make sure I don't feed their damn egos. Gotta humble them -_-. However, there are the kids who need to get built up. Actually, there's only one. Her name's Christina. I analyze my kids, and from the start, I knew that this girl had little to no friends. I always felt bad for her, but I can't really force kids to play with her. There's one specific girl in my class who just outright dislikes her named Brittany. She's kind of like.. the popular girl in my class. She's pretty, not very smart, talkative, etc. She calls Christina "stupid," "idiot," and other condescending things. I always punish her for it, but she does it anyway. I'll admit, Christina isn't my brightest student, but she's a hard worker and understands things, though at a slower pace. Just the other day, Brittany had gum and was sharing it with everyone, but when Christina asked for some..

Christina: Teacher, I asked Brittany for a piece of gum, and she said no.
Me: Why not?
Christina: She doesn't like me.
Me: ... You know what? Let's go buy some. Hurry up.


So I grabbed her hand and we ran out to the water store to get some 30 cent Juicy Fruit. When we got back, there were about 5 minutes till break was over, and we got back to tutoring. During the 2nd half of tutoring, Christina called me over and gave me this:

Sure, the spelling is pretty awful (tecker = teacher), and the drawing makes me look like some Play-Do ... thing, but when she gave this to me, I felt both good and bad. I felt good that she was so happy because of my small 30 cent-worth gesture, but I felt bad that I was the only friend she had at that pastel purple walled prison. Another day, during break time, she came into my room with a smile on her face..

Christina: Teacher. I brought chips today, and they're all gone. Everyone ate them.
Me: .. Oh.
Christina: Everybody liked them. Now I know what chips they like. *smiles*
Me: .. Oh, that's cool.


Poor girl. She doesn't realize that everyone is just using her for her food. I think the reason why I feel bad isn't just because it's sad, but she reminds me of myself when I was younger. A lot. You all know that I hated Liberty Baptist School, the shithole I went to from preschool to 6th grade, and most of you roughly know why. I guess I want to save that girl from being a depressed, resentful bitch later in her life, like me. -_- Anyway, I was considering getting a different job cuz I didn't like the circumstances of this one (can't work overtime or on weekends, can't get extra shifts, etc.), but now I think I'm actually kinda needed. Being needed holds me back. We'll see.

Other than work, I have no actual plans for the whole summer. However, in about 3 days (Monday), I'm going to Japan for a week. Random, eh? I'm going with my Japanese class. It's gonna be awesome. I'd plot out the whole agenda, but it's damn long. I'll just save it for when I come back. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is when I first meet my host family. I'll have to introduce myself, give them gifts (Doesn't sound bad, right? Wrong. Giving gifts takes about 5-10 minutes with Japanese people cuz of their damn honorable manners.), and getting myself settled. Otherwise, it should be fun. Look forward to the update on that.

Nothing else to blog about, that, and I don't care cuz it's taking me forever to do this post cuz I'm doing other stuff, so I'll just end it here with a list of my summer plans. Peace.
-learn how to cook at least 5 dishes well
-run tons
-get a lot better at badminton
-get free
-go to the beach
-save $1,000
-get back to at least the level of piano skills i had when i left
-hose down those damn birds outside my house
-roadtrip to SoCal (unlikely, I know)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha i think that drawng is cute =D haha i like kids ur lucky, she probly looks up to you =D well good luck on your summer plans =D, i might be going to so cal so u can roll with me if u wanna take a raod trip

Anonymous said...

I should be going to Japan next summer too. Should be, but dunno if I am. Anyway, that was a cute drawing. Ah, I feel kinda sorry for her too. I think I began resenting those "popular" LBS kinds of people since I started attending the school, actually XD;;.. Anyway, Have fun in Japan! :D Should be interesting looking at their clothing. Street fashion stuff. Quiiite fascinating. :)